Through the support of The McConnell Foundation, CLS is offering up to four (4) fellowships for exceptional applicants to attend SAIL program for this summer. The McConnell Foundation has engaged in philanthropy in Laos since 2006. This study abroad opportunity will allow North State residents a way to learn more about the country of Laos, it’s history, language, and peoples. By supporting Northern California participants on the SAIL program, The McConnell Foundation hopes to raise awareness about the many Laotian communities within Northern California and the intertwined geo-political histories of Laos and the USA. Applicants from Northern California with a strong drive to learn more about Laos and Lao language are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to those who are unlikely to have an opportunity to travel abroad without this Fellowship.
- Covers full SAIL tuition cost at the shared room rate
- Includes comprehensive travel insurance
- Offers $1,000 travel allowance ($500 upfront & $500 upon successful program completion)
- Must provide one blog to The McConnell Foundation during or after completing SAIL
- Agree to conduct one presentation on their experience to a student or community group
- Fellows will mentor one student for next year (can be done remotely)
- Agree to participate in next year's orientation if reasonably feasible.
To be eligible for The McConnell Foundation SAIL, you must be:
- An American Citizen 18 years or older
- Permanent resident within the 5 counties in Northern California (Modoc, Tehama, Siskiyou, Trinity or Shasta Counties). A "resident" must have lived in eligible locations for at least 4 years
- Unlikely to have opportunity to travel abroad without this scholarship
- Show a specific interest in and knowledge of Laos
- Demonstrated scholastic ability
- Demonstrated self-awareness and ability to manage stress
- Able to provide a doctor's note with proof of physical and mental health for traveling overseas
- Show intention to apply the learnings from the experience
- Show a track record of community engagement.
A complete SAIL application with attachments, in addition to the Scholarship application page are due on April 16, 2018. Applicants will also be required to take part in a phone interview within two weeks after the application deadline.
To apply for the scholarships, please download both the scholarship and SAIL applications at: http://www.laostudies.org/sail/documents.