Program Assistant Intern
The Center for Lao Studies (CLS), a 501c3 public benefit corporation, was founded in 2006 with the mission to advance knowledge in the field of Lao Studies through research, education, and information sharing. Since its founding, CLS has launched innovative programs that provide a unique educational resource to Lao Americans of all ethnic backgrounds to the academic community nationally and abroad, and to the general public.
The CLS Program Assistant Intern will be a kind of “jack of all trades” - responsible for a variety of administrative, operational and programmatic functions as needed. This position is ideal for a flexible, multi-talented, motivated and reliable student with a passion for Asian Studies and who wants to make a real difference in a small non-profit. The intern will be part of a team with the Executive Director and Program Director in fulfilling needs as they come up. The environment is casual and upbeat. There will be one intern position open, work hours: 10-15 hours per week in our San Francisco office.
A. Outreach and research with university groups nationwide
B. Help plan and implement mail appeals (print/online) and support e-communications
C. Event planning and support
D. Social Media updates
E. Catalogue and inventory collection of Lao and Southeast Asian books
F. Data input and maintenance of CLS membership lists
G. Assembling PR packets for media and potential members
H. Conduct research on individuals and institutional funders
Intended Learning Outcomes
• Learn to work within a small non-profit environment
• Build knowledge of issues relevant to Lao community and academia worldwide
• Learn fundraising skills
• Develop time management skills, build written and verbal communication skills
• 4-month minimum commitment
• Interest in Lao communities in Bay Area and nationwide
• Ability to use Microsoft Office applications Word, Excel and Outlook
• Good written and verbal skills in English and ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, database, and desktop publishing software (knowledge of graphic design a plus).
Dr. Vinya Sysamouth, email@example.com, 415-874-5578.